Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A farewell.

Dear readers,


We have come to the end of a good year - better, as always, than the one before. Here are reflections, and grateful thanks.

we are brought to realize
that the biggest blessings we can bring to ourselves
may best be brought
to others. 

The Straight Times Editor


This time remembered. 

So it’s over.

It might have been said to be in the blink of an eye, or in the turning of the dawn, or in the passage of a year, or all of the above. But truth is, the realization has only begun to hit me that these past two school years – constituting all the time that I will ever have again with my gregarious class and half my time in RI (which Is, by the way, supposed to be the happiest time in my life on this planet) – are over.

And they’ll never be back again.

I’d guess that that this time, many of my friends, from various schools, would be busy writing farewell dedications to their chums of the past year. Some blogs have already begun to display teary eulogies to a time spent together. As for me, though, I just have a few words to say to my classmates of this fatefully raucous biannual period which we have had the good fortune to spend together: laughing at each other’s jokes and of course, laughing at each other.

To the few who have been closer to me, I guess the only thing I can say at this point in time is “Thankyou”, or “Gracias” or “Gramercy” or “xie xie” or “arigato” or “danke” in whatever language we multilingual citizens may prefer. The wonder of knowing you as friends and confidants comes not from having someone to rant my heart away to, but having someone to do that to me – teaching me the eternal lesson that my troubles are never alone. We will soon part ways – indeed, even best friends choose different subject combinations – but I’ve a feeling that the next time we see each other in the canteen we’ll pass a knowing look of each other’s undivulged secrets.

Also to the many significant others whom I have worked with – and for some of us, whose history stretches into our primary school years – it would be an honour and a pleasure to meet again in the coming year. But whether that happens or no, we will always remember each other not for who scored in the Chinese test but for who told the corniest jokes, drew the best cartoons, told the best stories (perhaps political commentaries, in our case) or sang in the highest voice. The little souvenirs that we have left each other will not only be remembered but also treasured, and dearly missed as we hear the new jokes and songs of the new year.

Most unforgettably imprinted in my mind will be those whom I might have taken distaste to in the past two years. I’d like to apologize sincerely for this hostility that we’ve shared – indeed, I probably learnt much more from these people than from those who appeared closer. Grinding diamond with diamond makes both jewels more beautiful, and I’m deeply thankful to have met you all. There is one comfort, even as I may not have the chance to apologize in person – that we often remember the good more than the bad, and it is these people whose memories I will cherish forever.

The tears and farewells aside, this has most definitely been a marvelous two years which have carried many new experiences and will continue to glow brightly as gems in this plain road that I tread. Learning, among other things, the culture shock of using MSN for the first time, the consternation of a spammed blog tagboard, the innumerable blessings that one receives from friends he has never met, the irreplaceable joys of studying together outside yet maintaining a perfectly quiet environment, and the ultimate pride one has in ochre-brown fingers after painting the fence of an elephant sanctuary have helped me to deal with the million imperfections within myself, and to enjoy my life as it is. 

And wasted time in these two years is not regretted, but fondly remembered.

Farewell.

No comments: