unriven.
Dear readers,
Math.
Angles of elevation
and depression.
It is strange how in times of
despair, the human mind can
still appreciate mathematical beauty.
Maybe it’s naïve, but
the joy that sin –
and cosin, and tangent –
brings (divide your opposite by
your hypotenuse) can show you how
high the sky is, or
how far the stars are. Even when
all there is in your mental
line of sight
is. a. cloud.
For fellow bridge enthusiasts –
i.
Cut. Shuffle. Deal. Call
your partner, please. Make
a pass, or two.
There – hearts! Three? No
problem. I have what
you don’t. Just play
the right suit. And
yes, table-looking’s prohibited
but making eyes is
fine. Smile? Smile back.
Shift your ace of
hearts to the fourth
finger. The play begins.
ii.
Just whack. And win
it big. Do NOT –
at any cost – lie
to your own partner.
Send the right signals.
Keep calm, or at
least, try. Lips biting.
Sweat rolling. Paper – letters,
or cards? – crumple under
anxious hands. Nervousness. Paranoia.
Resentment. Questioning. Bleak – Will
she get my message?
iii.
No! I told you –
If you had known –
If we could talk –
You might have guessed
that I’ve run out
of trumps, that I
need support too. Come
on! You have a
Partner, you know! Stop
stealing my cards from
under me. Once upon
a time, I was
breathless, but now,
uno.
Waiting by the window;
A lonely breath crystallizes.
Fingerprint on the glass.

No comments:
Post a Comment