for the love of poetry.
Dear Readers,
Grandma, we have a secret.
you probably won’t remember it
now, but you told it to me on a crowded evening –
Chewing chicken bones in a jam-
packed Vietnamese restaurant. I knew –
you wanted to tell me something when I
saw you pause for a full ten seconds in the middle of
persuading me to change
my dietary habits.
you swallowed, no, gulped,
that mouthful of basil-passion soda and Told me
slowly, clearly, almost wistfully, but
suddenly in the voice of a rapturous girl that you wanted
your picture Drawn.
What picture, grandma?
I want you to
draw me, carrying
a long wooden pole –
you know, boy, the kind
with two baskets, one hung
on each end? – I’m squatting, no,
I think standing better. Standing, in a
field, a rice paddy field, with the blossoms
of luxurious green all around me. And boy ah,
you must show the white tips that hang on those
green stalks like effervescent edible pearls. In those
baskets you will draw my children – your father in one,
your aunty in the other one. And your father is wearing the
big round nighteeneightyfour specs that he always used to shove
unconsciously higher and higher up his nose-bridge when he studied.
and talking about nosebridges ah, boy, you must remember ah, your dad
had that hooked nose, he inherit from your – cough – grandfather one. Not
nice, I know, but still must draw. Your aunty leh, no hooked nose. Your aunty ah,
looked like me.
and so, grandma,
you told me your secret that night
that sacred key
of unraveling the mysteries
written in the creases of your time-worn skin, the words messier and
more streaked with emotion than my
failed history paper;
and of opening the truths – or legends, grandma, that are
locked indelibly within the black roots of
your dyed auburn hair.
we have a secret, grandma,
and I’ll tell you one of mine too, because
since that day you told me yours
I never drew that picture.
because that picture, grandma,
your picture,
became mine.
Grandma, we have a secret.
I’ll keep mum.
I hope you enjoyed that!
And as mentioned earlier, the next two poems are little harmless rhymes from the creative writing camp. i'm afraid the second one's not very scientific, but still, enjoy.
Eight O'clock
A rusty shimmer broke the cold
Of a hard metallic dawn,
And noisy traffic split the ears
Of a heavy city morn.
Sunlight streamed past opaque roofs
And fell on textured roads,
Glanced off the numbered pavement-ends
And accessorized abodes.
Those rays of sharp and cutting light
Spliced across the bay,
Woke the children, smashed the dreams
Of a summer holiday.
The Baby factory
Warm and fragile the baby pops
Suggestive of a mint –
Breathtaking, well-crafted they all are
(that fashionable, healthy tint)
Yet can they be more precious now,
“uniquely special clones?”
When they have tinkling, silent labs
As their Christmas-dinner homes?
Of course they’ll be adopted soon,
All in good time, they say.
But the quiet, empty orphanage is
Their shelter for today.
Looking back at those round test-tubes
I guess they sometimes think,
I’d rather have seen the light of a womb
Than this dead and glassy thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment