Don't you just hate those nerves. Stage FRIGHT
Dear readers
This is theokwek's second post since last friday, which may seem rather strange considering it's exam week, but he just had to post this. Anyway, it still evens out to a post a week.
In this issue, theokwek considers the VERY real and VERY scary phenomena of STAGE FRIGHT, which he had a recent encounter with - just today, in fact. theokwek has realized that he's really a very timid and reserved musician - whatever the cause is.
Before today's (failed) performance at MEP class, theokwek asked a friend (happy birthday in advance!) for advice and pens his thoughts about the entire experience in a poem.
Freak me out.
The Straight Times Editor
Stage Fright
There's a monster up that bunyan tree
His face is dark, but I can just see–
His hideous nose and grinning teeth
Lying there in wait for me
My humble skills can naught but match
The cunning dare of his dispatch
I get the shivers – he’s coming near
He’s closing in to claim his catch
The music’s gone, I’m all alone
Facing this dreadful wall of stone
The fingers go clammy, the breathing goes heavy
And those black notes are a meaningless drone
He’s sneaking up, around and behind
With my very soul in mind!
But can I afford to lose that yearning heart
Without which I am – musically – blind?
I fight back – yes! There’s fury and toil
I sound out for help in my restless turmoil
“Help me I’m nervous! You’re a fellow music-lover –“
“Think of your love and in your love, find joy!”
Don’t I love music – or just not enough?
If I love it still – why’s my playing still rough?
Why can’t I complete just one test without fear –
Can I show that I’m strong, can I show that I’m tough?
That boldness that vigour takes time to unravel
It rises within you with every new marvel
Of passion of power of pride and of prudence
Till that monster you bring with great ease to the slaughter
While you’re waiting, young man – just a little more!
The music is yours to enjoy and explore
Think of your love and your music and more
And with bravura and splendor your skill will endure.
There's a monster up that bunyan tree
His face is dark, but I can just see–
His hideous nose and grinning teeth
Lying there in wait for me
My humble skills can naught but match
The cunning dare of his dispatch
I get the shivers – he’s coming near
He’s closing in to claim his catch
The music’s gone, I’m all alone
Facing this dreadful wall of stone
The fingers go clammy, the breathing goes heavy
And those black notes are a meaningless drone
He’s sneaking up, around and behind
With my very soul in mind!
But can I afford to lose that yearning heart
Without which I am – musically – blind?
I fight back – yes! There’s fury and toil
I sound out for help in my restless turmoil
“Help me I’m nervous! You’re a fellow music-lover –“
“Think of your love and in your love, find joy!”
Don’t I love music – or just not enough?
If I love it still – why’s my playing still rough?
Why can’t I complete just one test without fear –
Can I show that I’m strong, can I show that I’m tough?
That boldness that vigour takes time to unravel
It rises within you with every new marvel
Of passion of power of pride and of prudence
Till that monster you bring with great ease to the slaughter
While you’re waiting, young man – just a little more!
The music is yours to enjoy and explore
Think of your love and your music and more
And with bravura and splendor your skill will endure.

No comments:
Post a Comment